Newport passes budget
NEWPORT — Newport residents will pay roughly $10 more per year in the city portion of their property taxes.
City Council approved a 4 percent levy increase at its Dec. 6 meeting, with a general fund balance proposed at $2,099,849.
The 2018 general fund was $2.4 million.
The biggest expenditure is money set aside for future construction of the aging City Hall and fire station.
The levy increase also will fund several smaller projects including:
• A new roof on the library
• Maintenance and new garage doors for the public works building
• Adding a security system to the public works building
• Tree removal in response to emerald ash borer
• Firefighting gear and personnel raises