Scott Wente has been editor at the South Washington County Bulletin since 2011. He worked as a reporter at other Forum Communications newspapers from 2003 to 2011.
- Member for
- 4 years 10 months
South Washington County voters on Tuesday overwhelmingly renewed a District 833 operating levy and voted themselves a tax increase to boost local school funding while also rejecting a land acquisition bond by the slimmest of margins.
School District 833 is using combined polling precincts in the Tuesday, Nov. 5, election, so some voters' polling locations are different from where they cast ballots in 2012. To find your polling place for the Tuesday vote, go to the Minnesota Secretary of State's poll finder . Polls are open from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m.
A day before voters settle the District 833 levy measures, Judge Barbara Case of the Office of Administrative Hearings on Monday heard arguments from the Woodbury resident who filed the complaint against Committee for VOTE and from the group’s attorney.
Washington County SWAT team attempted a warrant arrest Tuesday in St. Paul Park. The county's Special Response Team, armed and wearing protective gear, went to a home in the 1700 block of Dayton Avenue before noon to attempt to arrest a male suspect at the request of the St. Paul Police Department's homicide unit, Washington County sheriff Capt. Brian Mueller said Wednesday. The suspect was not located. -Scott Wente
Cottage Grove police said Wednesday that Benjamin F. Tims Sr., 85, was hit by an SUV as he walked back from his mailbox.
South Washington County voters on Tuesday will set the stage for School District 833 funding decisions in the next couple of years — and help decide who will have a part in those budget actions.
An 85-year-old Cottage Grove man was killed Tuesday when he was hit by a car while crossing 70th Street after retrieving his mail, police said.
A School District 833 resident alleges that a citizen group advocating passage of the school referendum broke campaign laws. A committee leader defended its financial reporting.
Authorities believe a Newport man died Friday of accidental carbon monoxide poisoning while working on a gas engine in his garage. The man's dog died too.
Kids in costumes and bundled-up families lined the road from the District 833 Service Center to the District Program Center to take in the Halloween event.