Weather Forecast


Carbon monoxide poisoning suspected in Newport man's death

Authorities believe a Newport man died Friday of accidental carbon monoxide poisoning while working on a gas engine in his garage.

Emergency crews were called Friday afternoon to a garage at 660 Sixth Ave., where 60-year-old Robin J. Hiley was found not breathing. A gas-powered stump grinder was running in the garage when emergency crews arrived at about 4:30 p.m., according to the police report.

Police officers, and later paramedics, attempted CPR on Hiley but they could not revive him and he was pronounced dead at the scene.

Police Chief Curt Montgomery said it’s believed Hiley died of carbon monoxide poisoning. The garage doors were closed while the engine was running.

“It wasn’t intentional; it just happened,” Montgomery said.

The Ramsey County medical examiner’s office is handling the autopsy.

Hiley’s black labrador dog Jack also was found unresponsive in the garage, police said. The dog was taken to the University of Minnesota veterinary hospital for emergency care but later died.

Scott Wente

Scott Wente has been editor at the South Washington County Bulletin since 2011. He worked as a reporter at other Forum Communications newspapers from 2003 to 2011.

(651) 459-7600