Weather Forecast


Charges: Intoxicated man assaulted St. Paul Park cop

A 23-year-old man faces criminal charges after he allegedly punched a St. Paul Park police officer while intoxicated, causing what prosecutors described as heavy bleeding on the cop's head.

Anthony L. Evans, of South St. Paul, last week was charged in Washington County District Court with felony fourth-degree assault of a peace officer and obstructing the legal process, a gross misdemeanor.

The charges stem from a Jan. 31 traffic incident. According to the criminal complaint:

Police officer Shawn Sonterre was dispatched at about 1 a.m. to the 400 block of 3rd Street, near an east gate at the oil refinery, for a vehicle in a snowbank. Sonterre made contact with the driver, who was arrested for alleged drunken driving, and suspected two passengers, including Evans, also were drunk.

Sonterre tested Evans for his blood-alcohol level. He registered a 0.267 on a preliminary breath test, a level more than three times the legal limit for driving. After Sonterre put Evans in a squad car to transport him to a detox facility, Evans allegedly urinated "all over the back seat of the reserve squad car," according to the complaint.

Police then told Evans he would be placed in a temporary holding cell until he could be transported to a detox facility. He allegedly became disruptive and tried to pull away from and slam into the officers. He yelled and swore at the police. After Evans calmed down, Sonterre tried to take off handcuffs from Evans' wrists so officers could remove his jacket.

With one handcuff unlocked, Evans swore at Sonterre and said he was going to punch him. Then Evans allegedly broke free of the officers and punched Sonterre above the officer's left eye. The handcuff attached to Evans' left wrist struck Sonterre in the forehead, causing two deep gouges and heavy bleeding, according to the criminal complaint.

Police then placed handcuffs on Evans and transported him to detox.

St. Paul Park Police Chief Mike Monahan said Sonterre suffered a small cut to the forehead. A paramedic provided medical care to the officer at the scene, Monahan said.

If convicted on the felony assault charge, Evans faces up to 3 years in prison and $6,000 in fines. An attorney for Evans was not listed on the criminal complaint.

See the upcoming print edition of the Bulletin for more on the altercation.

Scott Wente

Scott Wente has been editor at the South Washington County Bulletin since 2011. He worked as a reporter at other Forum Communications newspapers from 2003 to 2011.

(651) 459-7600