Weather Forecast


2 house fires in 2 days for Cottage Grove neighborhood

Crews on Monday afternoon battled a fire at 8255 Hyde Avenue in Cottage Grove -- and then returned to the neighborhood 33 hours later for a small house fire at 8351 Hyde Court. Bulletin photo by Scott Wente

Firefighters called to a house fire early Wednesday in Cottage Grove may have been surprised by the address.

Fire broke out in an attic of a home at 8351 Hyde Court, just around the corner from the site of a large fire less than 48 hours earlier. The proximity of the fires appears to be merely coincidence, fire officials said.

Crews were called to the Hyde Court address at 12:27 a.m. Wednesday for a fire that was contained to the home's attic. It was believed to be an electrical fire that started when a malfunctioning roof vent fan dropped into the attic, said Deputy Cottage Grove Fire Chief Al Beasley. That caused insulation and wood studs in the attic to smolder.

The home was occupied at the time, but the homeowners reported the fire and escaped without injury, Beasley said. They were able to safely remove their pets.

The Hyde Court fire followed a blaze Monday afternoon about a block away at 8255 Hyde Ave.

That fire appears to have started on or near the deck on the back of the home before it spread to the home's trusses and across the attic, Beasley said. The fire caused extensive damage.

It's not yet clear how the fire started outside, Beasley said.

Nobody was injured in the Hyde Avenue fire. The house was unoccupied at the time of the fire.

Scott Wente

Scott Wente has been editor at the South Washington County Bulletin since 2011. He worked as a reporter at other Forum Communications newspapers from 2003 to 2011.

(651) 459-7600