Fires damage Cottage Grove home, apartment buildingOne person escaped a Cottage Grove house fire without injury early Wednesday, about 12 hours after crews fought another residential fire.
By: Scott Wente, South Washington County Bulletin
A neighbor helped one person escape a Cottage Grove house fire without injury early Wednesday, about 12 hours after crews fought another residential fire.
Firefighters responded to a house at 7588 Iverson Ave. at 7:17 a.m. Wednesday after a neighbor saw fire outside the home and called 911. One resident was home at the time of the fire but got out of the house safely, said Cottage Grove Fire Chief Bob Byerly. A neighbor had knocked on the door to alert the resident inside.
Investigators believe the fire started in or near a flower pot on the front steps. A dry plant or imitation moss in the pot may have caused the fire, said Pete Koerner, Cottage Grove police captain.
“Right now everything leads them to believe it an accidental,” Koerner said.
The fire caused extensive damage to the front porch, main level and attic of the home. Washington County property records show it is owned by Patrick and Marjorie Conway.
Fire crews from St. Paul Park, Newport and Woodbury assisted.
On Tuesday evening, firefighters from a number of area departments assisted with a fire at an apartment complex at 7815 Hearthside Ave. Police arrived on scene at 5:15 p.m. and saw smoke in a roof vent.
Police evacuated the apartment building.
The fire likely was caused by a faulty dryer or electric outlet supplying the dryer, Koerner said. It was limited to a dryer vent between second- and third-floor apartment units.
There were no injuries.