Man to appear on burglary, property damage chargesA 21-year-old man is scheduled to appear in court next month for allegedly burglarizing and damaging property in a St. Paul Park home under construction.
By: Scott Wente, South Washington County Bulletin
A 21-year-old man is scheduled to appear in court next month for allegedly burglarizing and damaging property in a St. Paul Park home under construction.
Aurelio R. Cortes IV, whose residence is unknown according to court documents, allegedly broke into a home under construction in the 700 block of Pleasant Avenue and caused $8,888 worth of damage to walls, rail spindles, doors and lightbulbs in August of 2006.
According to the court complaint: someone called police in the morning on Aug. 6, 2006, to report the damage. A St. Paul Park officer walked through the home and saw several rail spindles on the home’s landing area, numerous holes punched or kicked in walls throughout the home, damaged lightbulbs, a thermostat controller and doorbell that had been ripped off the wall and a closet door ripped from the hinges. The officer found a wallet on the floor of the home containing Cortes’ driver’s license.
Cortes told police that he was at a party at the house, and was roughed up by three guys who stole his billfold, according to the court complaint. He told police the house was in good shape when he left. Two friends of Cortes told police a different story. They said the three of them were hanging out at a home near the one under construction and that they left and entered the new house through the back patio door, according to the court complaint. The friends said they were in one room of the home, when they heard a loud crash. They told police they saw Cortes punching and kicking holes and walls, and causing other damage in the home and tried to get him to stop, according to the court complaint.
Cortes was charged March 13, 2007, with third-degree burglary, which carries a maximum sentence of five years and $10,000 and first-degree criminal property damage, which carries a maximum sentence of five years and $10,000.
He was at large until he turned himself in to the Cottage Grove Police Feb. 24, 2009, according to the police report.
He is scheduled to appear in Washington County District Court at 1 p.m. April 7 for a contested omnibus hearing.