Cause determined in Tuesday morning house fire
Components of a light fixture in a basement utility room caused a Tuesday morning house fire in which a firefighter was injured, Minnesota State Fire Marshal Bruce McLaughlin said.
The fire occurred at the home of Jim and Jan Baker, located at 8656 Ironwood Ave. in Cottage Grove.
The Bakers were drinking their morning coffee at about 8 a.m. when smoke billowed out from around the stove in the kitchen upstairs, Jim Baker said. They called 911 and rushed to move their cars out of the garage and 10 minutes later the house was fully engulfed in flames, they said.
Jim Baker, retired pastor of Peaceful Grove United Methodist Church, in Cottage Grove, and his wife, a retired teacher, were not hurt.
To make a donation to the Baker Fire Assistance Fund, make checks payable to Woodbury/Peaceful Grove United Methodist Church, write "Baker Family Fire Assistance Fund" on the memo line and mail to the church, at 7465 Steepleview Road, Woodbury, MN 55125. Donations can also be dropped off between 9:30 and 11 a.m. Sundays at the church's Cottage Grove campus, 8600 90th Street.