Sections

Weather Forecast

Close
Advertisement

Carbon monoxide poisoning suspected in Newport man's death

Email Sign up for Breaking News Alerts
news Cottage Grove, 55016
Cottage Grove Minnesota 7584 80th Street South 55016

Authorities believe a Newport man died Friday of accidental carbon monoxide poisoning while working on a gas engine in his garage.

Emergency crews were called Friday afternoon to a garage at 660 Sixth Ave., where 60-year-old Robin J. Hiley was found not breathing. A gas-powered stump grinder was running in the garage when emergency crews arrived at about 4:30 p.m., according to the police report.

Advertisement
Advertisement

Police officers, and later paramedics, attempted CPR on Hiley but they could not revive him and he was pronounced dead at the scene.

Police Chief Curt Montgomery said it’s believed Hiley died of carbon monoxide poisoning. The garage doors were closed while the engine was running.

“It wasn’t intentional; it just happened,” Montgomery said.

The Ramsey County medical examiner’s office is handling the autopsy.

Hiley’s black labrador dog Jack also was found unresponsive in the garage, police said. The dog was taken to the University of Minnesota veterinary hospital for emergency care but later died.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
randomness